Sunday 7 August 2005

Soccer Referee Nick

I just refereed at the Central Queensland Junior Robotics Competition. Was lots of fun. I got to referee about 4 games I think, including the second last match. Jason naturally took the grand final for himself :p He does a great job though!

I tried to follow the advice of being as much a commentator as a referee, and I think it's a good idea. People are much less likely to take issue with your decisions if you explain why you're making them as you go. And they'll learn more from their mistakes.

It was a bit chaotic at times with half the teams arriving late (blown bus tyre on the way from Mackay), but once things got underway it was very exciting. I wish they did this when I was in high school!

The only sad point in the entire day was that Sarah, Official Guardian of the Yowies, didn't get to keep the yowies after the competition. :'(

No comments: